Monday, June 22, 2009

My Weekend in Cleveland - June 20 and 21

This past weekend I drove up to Cleveland with Ian to play at No Surf with Forge. The team had decided to split X/Y, which meant that both teams were playing with only 9 people. Overall, the experience was a good one, though it had its ups and downs. To begin with, I was slightly disappointed with my own level of play. I scored the first point of the tourney for us, and that was my only goal all weekend. I didn't have any ds (though I wasn't getting beaten all over the place either). While I certainly shoulder most of the responsibility for the level of my own play, I felt that I wasn't really placed in a position to excel. Primarily, I mean that this was my first time playing with anyone on Forge and with any of Forge's strategy. I didn't really start understanding the way that they run their Horizontal Stack until Sunday, and by then I had been pigeon-holed into a role as the handler who receives the pull and immediately gets it to the center handler. A role without any glamour, and one that I am not as suited for as cutting. On the upside, playing disc is always a blast, everyone on the team is incredibly nice and there are quite a few remarkable characters, I got to mark up on Luke Johnson (the guy who makes the Rhino videos I'm slightly obsessed with) and I had my best game of the tourney in the semis, when it really mattered (for this game, I was cutting). I also learned a lot, and am (if this is possible) even more excited than I was for Superfly's upcoming season.

Aside from that, not too much is going on. I got back the first responses to my solitary confinement questionnaire. They're pretty powerful and depressing, but it's given me a new perspective on the project and a new source of motivation. I stopped by a used bookstore today and picked up 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' and a collection of short fiction by Hawthorne. Last night's dinner was pasta with asparagus, mushrooms and sundried tomatoes. If I get anything from this summer, it will be a better ability to fend for myself after college, especially in the cooking department; which is not a skill to be taken lightly, as my difficulty with food this past school year can attest to.

No comments:

Post a Comment