Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A New Summer

Much like this entire blog, this post is as much self-directed as it is targeted at any hypothetical audience.

Though I've absolutely ignored this blog over the course of the past academic year, I feel that it is essential that I rediscover and utilize it over the course of this coming summer, and through next year. In the pursuit of that ambition, this post serves as an ice-breaker, and a signal of my commitment (on top of all that, I can't sleep).

For my entire life, a prescribed path has been set out before me. Elementary school, high school, college...I was blissfully free to choose what I wanted to do with my summers, but never as free as I am now to choose my direction and occupation in life. To inaugurate this new phase of my life, I've decided to make a renewed commitment to living consciously and actually doing what I tell myself I want to do. This blog is essential in both of those endeavors. The former I feel is self-evident. As for the latter, I've always identified myself as a writer to some extent, though I think that in many ways my tendency to write for pleasure was stifled at Yale. As the year progresses, I hope to use this space as a place where I can entertain any thoughts I have (no matter how outlandish). Perhaps I'll return to fiction or academic writing at some future point, but at this moment I hope to write essays (in Montaigne's sense); delving deep into my own experiences and thoughts in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment