Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Reason

Why did I feel the need to start a blog? I think that blogs (particularly ones like this, where the author does not even give the pretense of presenting interesting or original information for his audience) run the risk of being incredibly self-indulgent and meaningless. I've chosen not to delude myself with the notion that other people will want to read this. This blog is absolutely an indulgent and personal exercise. I've attempted on a number of occasions in the past to keep a journal, and have always failed, but it is my hope that keeping a blog will be a novel experience, and will hold my interest. Keeping this blog also ties in to my desire to begin to write again over the course of the next year and a half, and is a part of a larger attempt to return to some semblance of the discipline that I had in high school. I will be spending this summer living with my friend Ian Cutler in Pittsburgh, and working for a prisoners' rights group that doesn't seem to have much direction. From staying in shape for frisbee, to taking initiative in my work, discipline will be incredibly important this summer. At any rate, those are my primary justifications, and I'm really tired of hearing myself ramble on (though I suppose I'll have to build up a greater tolerance if I'm to do this all summer).

No comments:

Post a Comment